Exciting news for sports enthusiasts and fun lovers alike! We are thrilled to announce the latest addition to our roster of team sports – Ultimate Frisbee is here to stay! Since its arrival earlier this year, families have been flocking to play this high-energy and high-fun sport. Whether you’re a seasoned athlete or a curious beginner, Ultimate Frisbee has something for everyone. In this blog post, we’ll dive into the world of Ultimate Frisbee, covering what it is, how to play, and how you can join in on the fun.
So what is Ultimate Frisbee?
If you’ve ever wondered about that flying disc-shaped object soaring through the air at your local park or on the beach, chances are you’ve encountered a frisbee. But what exactly is Ultimate Frisbee? It’s a team sport that combines the best elements of football, soccer, and basketball, all while showcasing the unique aspect of a frisbee. Players on opposing teams pass the frisbee back and forth, aiming to catch it in the opposing team’s end zone to score points. But Ultimate isn’t just about the points; it’s about camaraderie, fair play, and spirited competition.
How to Play Ultimate Frisbee
Ultimate Frisbee is played on a rectangular field with end zones at each end. The objective is to score points by catching the frisbee in the opposing team’s end zone. Here’s a basic rundown of how the game is played:
- Starting Play: The game begins with a “pull,” which is essentially a throw-off from one team to the other. Teams line up on the front of opposite end zones. The receiving team catches the frisbee and establishes their offense.
- Passing and Movement: Players pass the frisbee amongst themselves, moving it up the field. Players cannot run while holding the frisbee; they must establish a pivot foot and pass it to their teammates. The “thrower” has 10 seconds to throw the frisbee. The defender guarding them “the marker” counts out the stall count. The frisbee may be advanced in any direction by completing a pass to a teammate.
- Scoring: A point is scored when a player catches the frisbee in the opposing team’s end zone. The team with the frisbee is trying to advance towards their opponent’s end zone to score, while the defending team tries to prevent this.
- Turnovers: If the frisbee hits the ground, goes out of bounds, or is intercepted, possession switches to the opposing team. Turnovers are a common occurrence and keep the game dynamic.
- Fouls: Ultimate frisbee is a non-contact sport. When a player initiates a contact that affects the play, a foul occurs. When a foul causes a player to lose possession, the play resumes as if the possession was retained.
- Spirit of the Game: One of the most unique aspects of Ultimate Frisbee is the emphasis on sportsmanship and fair play.
Play Ultimate Frisbee at The Manor & Ashbury Resorts
next break. Ultimate frisbee is usually programmed 2 or 3 times a week during peak times as an organised activity. These sessions can be enjoyed by adults and children 12 years and over – great for families to enjoy some time together.
The frisbee equipment can also be hired free of charge during other times by groups looking to play a game by themselves.
What Are You Waiting For?
The addition of Ultimate Frisbee to our list of team sports brings a refreshing and thrilling dimension to our offerings. This fast-paced, dynamic frisbee sport encourages teamwork, communication, and above all, a deep respect for the game and your fellow players. Whether you’re diving for that spectacular catch or strategizing your passes, Ultimate Frisbee guarantees an unforgettable experience that will leave you coming back for more. So, why wait? Grab a frisbee, gather your friends, and embark on a journey into the world of Ultimate Frisbee – a sport that truly takes play to new heights – you might even head home searching for ‘ultimate frisbee near me!’